Sunday, July 26, 2009

Think Again

I mentioned in a recent blog that when I married my husband I must have known, on some deep level, that I was settling into my marriage. But for whatever reason, I didn’t let myself believe it. The sad part is that I know I’m not alone. I’ve heard stories from many divorced people, even married ones, who also feared on their wedding day that their marriage might not last into their golden years. Why did did we go through with it anyway?

Some women were marrying the perfect man. He was ideal on paper – good looking, well liked, financially stable and even a little romantic. Their parents loved him. He immediately fit comfortably into the family but on their wedding day, even these women had reservations. Still, they said their vows. The wedding was paid for, gifts had been bought and guests would soon arrive. Others, like myself, had a slight inkling, but weren’t willing to face the reality. No relationship is perfect, right? And isn’t it unrealistic and slightly naïve to expect perfection? You want to go into a life-long commitment with rational expectations. The fairy tale just can't work in real life, can it?

That’s what I thought. I thought I was asking too much in wanting perfection, in wanting to feel all the butterflies and giddiness that brides in movies seem to exude. I had a gorgeous dress and the wedding of my dreams. I was 29 years-old and the time was right. I had waited long enough and he came along. So why did I ignore my gut telling me that something was wrong? Because it’s easier to ignore a problem than face it, at least for a while. (Note to self: in the long run, this is a terribly bad idea.) So I ignored the fact that I went to bed alone on my wedding night because my new husband was too busy partying to accompany his bride. I even ignored the two Grateful Dead cover band concerts we went to on our honeymoon. Yup, that’s right. I said honeymoon.

But even those of us who had the perfect mate, some still ended up in divorce court. Is it because we married the wrong person? Is it because marriage takes work and we weren’t willing to do it? Is it because we have unrealistic expectations of marriage? Is it because we felt unworthy and we’re afraid we don’t deserve better? I wish I knew.

I’ve been reading lately about pre-marital counseling and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s brilliant. If you would have asked me about this idea four years ago, I probably would have said that anyone who needs counseling before they get married is in real trouble. Now I think anyone smart enough to do this is way ahead of the curve. Marriage is rough, no matter how strong it is, and it does take work. Throw in a couple of kids, job loss or financial trouble, a sick in-law and you’ve got serious challenges on your hands. Learning to work through these issues, or at least step back and take a deep breath to realize you actually need to work through these issues, before you enter into a lifelong commitment, is a sharp move.

Even learning how to handle talking about your smallest pet peeves before they turn into reasons to go to marital counseling is a giant move. Not having to pay for a third party to listen to how your spouse just can NOT handle how you leave the ceiling fan on when you’re not in the room will save you time, money and aggravation. And I do believe that just the exercise of sitting down and discussing potential future challenges might give you the confidence you need to know for sure that this is the person you want to be with until death do you part.

No comments:

Post a Comment