Monday, July 27, 2009

Reason to Chill

More encouraging news on divorce released today. A recent University of Chicago study has revealed that people who have been divorced have a 12% higher rate of poor health and chronic conditions such as heart disease, diabetes or cancer, compared to our married counterparts. It goes on to explain the additional possibility of mobility limitations, etc. and basically just makes me want to scream.

To add insult to injury (but not surprising), women in unhappy marriages are more likely to experience injurious effects to their health than men.” And women more frequently suffer from signs of metabolic syndrome: including high blood pressure, obesity and other risk factors of heart disease, stroke and diabetes.

As if the aggravation and heartbreak and basic dismantling of life as you know it isn’t enough, we can now look forward to feeling the effects of this experience later in life. Although I separated from my husband two years ago, I clearly remember the nightmares, weight loss and the inability to concentrate coupled with the amazing ability to break into tears in a matter of seconds. I knew this was tearing me apart at the time. I knew if I didn’t manage it I would end up really sick, but I didn’t know I would have to deal with it again once it was all over.

Divorce is an overwhelming juggling act of emotions, many of which you didn’t even know you had. You’re unhappy, sad and depressed – and before this point, you weren’t exactly aware these were three separate things. You’re scared, uncomfortable and maybe even shocked. You question every decision you’ve ever made and any decisions you may make in the future. Everything you know is constantly changing and you have to be on your toes, ready to deal with the newest developments each day. How do you do this? You breathe.

You take one step at a time and make sure these steps contain deep breaths between each one. Exercise is a miracle – it was running for me, and yoga, and cuddling with my dog. Everyone needs to find their own escape – books, movies, volunteering, exercising or practicing your salsa moves in front of the TV. Whatever it is, just make sure you find it. Yoga and meditation are amazing ways to introduce healthy habits into your life for good. And the quicker you learn to manage these emotions, the better we’ll all be in the long run.

Total%20Divorce%20Blog%20»%20Blog%20Archive%20»%20Chronic%20Health%20Conditions%20Linked%20to%20Divorce.webarchive


No comments:

Post a Comment