Monday, July 6, 2009

'No' in Training


I’ve never been good at saying no. I’m a Libra, an only child and an overall people-pleaser. I was always the most well behaved kid, the teacher’s pet and everyone’s parents’ favorite friend. A couple of years ago I was told that if I were a dog, I’d be a service dog. And yes, it was meant as a compliment. As an adult, I’d still rather say yes and consequently spend a lot of time I don’t have fulfilling my obligations than saying that word. OK – I have gotten better about this though; now I usually just lie, especially when it comes to dating.

If someone asks me out and I’m not interested, I just make something up. This is not as easy as it sounds, however, because when I get nervous, I’m not all that quick on my feet. A couple of months ago at a work function, a Florida Highway Patrol officer asked me out – via a colleague (come on!). So I lied. I said I was in a serious relationship. I did not specify that this relationship was with my 8 year-old Cocker Spaniel. I also did not specify that even if I was remotely attracted to this man, I’m not in the least interested in dating any type of law enforcement officer. I’ve had one hell of an experience in that area and do NOT wish to go there again. I know it’s not really fair to reject anyone who works in law enforcement, but my past experience was a doozy. (Note to reader: when the guy you're dating ends up on the front page of the newspaper for breaking the law when he should be enforcing it, it's time to call it quits.)  

So is there a better way to tell someone to hit the road without hurting their feelings?  Or do you just flat-out say no? No, I’m not interested? No, I’m busy? No, I don’t think that would work? No, but thanks for asking? Do tell. This puppy needs training. 

1 comment:

  1. My normal response, "Thanks for offer but no thank you."

    ReplyDelete