Tuesday, July 14, 2009

All Aboard


I find it both incredibly awful and wonderfully comforting that a number of my friends are also going through divorce hell right now. I cannot figure out how or why so many of these smart, good-looking, funny, wonderful women are all in the same boat, but at least we have each other to lean on.

It’s a strange feeling when you know that you can call or text a friend on any given day and ask how her appointment with her lawyer went, but reassuring that when you need to vent about the calls or appointments with your lawyer (any one of the possible four), they’ll be there and they’ll get it. They’ll understand why paying $27.50 for a quick phone call to your lawyer’s paralegal makes you crazy or how the terms ‘bifurcate’ and ‘decree nisi’ should automatically come with explanations in English. Plain and simple – it sucks. There’s nothing anyone can do or say to make it better, but good friends can offer an empathetic ear and more importantly, make you laugh when you didn’t think legalese and hourly rates could make you giggle.

It’s a life-saver that when you need to re-live every single detail in your head out loud just to keep your head on straight, you’ve got someone who will listen and not judge. Sometimes your stories are better than hers and sometimes it’s the other way around. There are even times when a friend’s ex will make yours look like prince charming, but in my case, that’s rare. I happen to think that some of the things my ex did trump any story I’ve heard yet. For close friends, I even offer one of my stories as a “if you’re feeling bad about your divorce, this will make you feel SO much better.”   

I just noticed that I am sans de vin right now and I most definitely should not be. Anyway, it really is a relief when you know that one friend or another, or a bunch of them, will be ready for drinks on Friday night and you don’t have to worry about being the third or fifth wheel, or whoever you’re with being on a husband hunt. 

But how did this happen? I don’t think I’ll ever understand so I guess I should just be thankful: thankful that I’m not alone, or lonely. It’s an amazing feeling to be alone, yet not lonely, but it can be easy to forget that in the midst of starting your entire life over from scratch. We’re all starting over from scratch and we’ve all experienced the plethora of highs and lows that accompany this process. The most important saving grace for me is my friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment