Saturday, June 13, 2009

This is not my beautiful house ...

It’s late Saturday morning and I’m in the midst of one of my favorite single gal activities – sleeping in, big breakfast, catching up on ‘Sex and the City’ reruns. (I even took the “which Sex in the City” character are you quiz? Not shocking the result was Charlotte.) Sipping from my favorite giant coffee mug is the cherry on top. I love sleeping in on Saturdays and I love not having to ask anyone else what they want for breakfast or having to decide who’s gonna walk the dog. But I can’t help but think about how I got here.

I’m 34 and divorced. Now I know that’s not wrong or indicative of any serious character flaws, but no matter how much I tell myself that, there’s still doubt in my mind. There’s still the look in people’s eyes when I tell them. And maybe it’s just my imagination, but sometimes I think people are secretly asking, “You?” “You’re divorced?” “What happened?”

The “what happened” question is my least favorite, because no matter what happened, no one will ever understand; unless, of course, they’ve been through it. And it never ceases to amaze me who has been through it. I look around at my friends and still can’t believe how many of them are in the same boat and in particular, which ones. I think back to high school and if you lined up my friends and I, we never would have been the ones picked out as those who would end up in divorce court. We were the ‘most like to succeed,’ ‘best dressed,’ ‘best all around,’ group and in long-term relationships. I guess that’s how meaningful high school is and goes to show you, we’re not in high school anymore.

And no matter how hard you try, you can’t predict anything. Some of us married our polar opposites -- the exact people our parents warned us against. The smarter ones married the men our families adored – they were perfect on paper and looked perfect next to you. And still, divorce has reared its ugly head. So my only advice, if I’m permitted to offer some, go with your gut and never look back.

No comments:

Post a Comment